Our Lady of Tinos (Panagia Evangelistria), Tinos, Kyklades
- Greek Orthodox Church
- Día de celebración:
- August 15 - Dormition of the Virgin Mary (Theotokos)
- Segundo día de celebración:
- July 23 - Anniversary of the vision of the nun Pelagia
- Evangelistrias 1, Tinos, Kyklades, 84200 Greece
- (0030) 22830 22256
- Sunday 7:30am
- Divina Liturgia:
- Sunday 8:15am
- Saturday 6:00pm
- Year of Establishment:
- In June of 1822 at the nunnery of Kechrovounion, a nun by the name of Pelagia had a series of visions of the Holy Virgin. Mary instructed Pelagia to inform the elders of Tinos village that they were to begin excavations in an uncultivated field, where they would find a sacred icon. Excavations began and on January 30, 1823, a worker digging in the soil discovered the icon. Subsequent archaeological excavations have determined the area of the icon s discovery to have been the site of the ancient Byzantine church and, before that, the temple of Dionysos. The icon, called Panagia Evangelistria, meaning Our Lady of Good Tidings, is a beautiful portrayal of Mary kneeling with her head bent in prayer. Regarded by scholars as being older than the Byzantine period, it may perhaps be the work of the Apostle and Evangelist St. Luke. It is assumed that the icon was a sacred object in the Byzantine church and was hidden or lost around the time of the Moslem invasions. After the discovery of the icon, the construction of a new church was begun. Before the church was completed in 1830, large numbers of pilgrims had begun to come to the island from throughout Greece. Numerous reports of miracles of healing rapidly increased the fame of the Church of the Megolohari, with the result that today the sacred icon is the most venerated pilgrimage item of the Greek nation. Four major festival days are celebrated at the shrine: January 30, the anniversary of the finding of the icon; March 25, the Annunciation of Mary; July 23, the anniversary of the vision of the nun Pelagia; and August 15, the Assumption of Mary.
For Priests or Parish Council Officers Services for the Iglesia
If you are a Priest or Parish Council Officer of this Iglesia you may use the following services:
Update Iglesia Details
Take a moment to update the listing details of Our Lady of Tinos (Panagia Evangelistria), Tinos, Kyklades, add photos as well as include information on your services and historical data so that the Iglesia listing is complete; your parishioners can better communicate with you and know more about the Iglesia!
Lighten the Iglesia
Create and publish a list of items that you need for your Iglesia. As a Iglesia Representative, you are aware of religious items that the Our Lady of Tinos (Panagia Evangelistria), Tinos, Kyklades truly needs. The Lighten a Church service enables you to create a list with what you need for the Iglesia; once there is a prospective donor who wishes to help, he or she can purchase an item or more from your Need list on Iglesia's behalf.
Support for Iglesia Endeavours
Create Holy Causes for funding of your Iglesia's Christian projects and endeavours. Support a Holy Cause is a new service empowering your parishioners and followers to connect virtually with Our Lady of Tinos (Panagia Evangelistria), Tinos, Kyklades and support specific Christian endeavours such as Philoptochos and Iglesia Renovation in an easy and secure way. As a Iglesia Representative, you can create one or more Holy Causes and start getting funding for your Iglesia projects.