Orthodox World

Saint Helen of Colchester, Colchester, Essex

Saint Helen of Colchester

General Details

Type:
Church
Archdiocese:
Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Western and Central Europe
Diocese:
Deanery of the United Kingdom and Ireland
Head Priest:
Metropolitan John
Priest:
Father Alexander Haig
Feast Day:
May 21 - St Helen and St Constantine, Equal to the Apostles
Second Feast Day:
August 8 - St Helen

Contact Details

Address:
St Helen's Lane, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1UB United Kingdom
Email:
[email protected]
Phone:
01-206-530-530
Fax:
01-206-530-531
Url:
http://www.orthodoxcolchester.org.uk/index.html
Head Priest:
[email protected],

Services Details

Orthros:
Sunday 9:45am
Divine Liturgy:
Sunday 10:30am
Vespers:
Saturday 4:30pm
Services info:
Other Services are held on weekdays, especially on Great Feasts, when there will normally be a Holy Liturgy at 9:30am. [Please check first]

Historical Details

Build - Founding Year:
750?
History:
Possibly in the eighth century the English King Offa of Mercia (the midlands of England), who was overlord of Essex, and by then a Christian, came to Colchester, and built the small St Helen's Chapel within the ruined walls of the Roman theatre. Certainly the Chapel is on the Roman first century foundations of the theatre, which can be seen just above ground level: probably the core of the lower part of the walls of the Chapel is Roman too. At all events, when the Normans, after their conquest of the English in 1066, decided to build a castle here, to keep the Saxons quiet, and to defend against marauding Danes. They did this in 1076, on the foundations of the ruined Roman Temple of Claudius. At the same time, 1076, we know they restored St Helen's Chapel. This clearly indicates that the Chapel was very old by then, needing considerable repair. The Orthodox Parish of St Helen had been established in 1996, and had been looking for its own premises ever since. The Borough Council, fully sympathizing with the Parish's need and perhaps rather shameful of keeping such a building from the public, agreed to release it to the Parish. The building remains in the ownership of the local Church of England diocese, which happily gave its consent to the arrangement. Our Parish is intensely grateful to all those who have made it possible for us to have this ancient and lovely church. We are very aware of the privilege we have in using it. We are delighted that we have able to restore it to its ancient and proper purpose of Christian worship after a break of nearly 500 years - and, from the Orthodox point of view, to restore it to Orthodox worship after a period of nearly 1000 years!