In the year 1857, Don Rafael Ayau built the first orphanage in Guatemala City, known as \"The Home of Mercy\".
In the year 1996, under the administration of President Alvaro Arzu and the First Lady Patricia Arzu, HOGAR RAFAEL AYAU was given back to private stewardship, to the Orthodox Church, and a new chapter in it\'s history was written.
His Eminence, Metropolitan Antonio Chedraoui Archbishop of the Antiochian Orthodox Church of Mexico, Central America, Venezuela and the Caribbean, officially received the neglected orphanage from the Guatemalan authorities.
On August 9th of 1996, the feast day of St. Herman of Alaska, his Eminence, Metropolitan Antonios entrusted to Mother Abbess Ines and the Nuns of the Orthodox Monastery Lavra Mambre the administration and financial responsibilities of the Hogar.
After more than one year of general repairs and renovations of the eight dilapidated buildings of the Hogar, and spending half a million US dollars, from private donors only,
the Hogar reopened its doors once again to welcome 115 children all together on October 13th of 1997!!!